Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Add-Z

I noticed right away that Addie was not a fan of lullabies-- I tried my entire repertoire, stocked with standards (including the actually-quite-ominous-if-you-really-listen-to-the-lyrics "Rock-a-bye Baby"), Muppets classics, and every song ever to reference the concept of sleep, and she responded with either complete apathy or actual displeasure, as if my rendition of "I'm So Tired" by the Beatles were stabbing her aurally in the eardrums. Singing, it seemed, was not her thing, which was quite the downer, since it is one of maybe four things I am actually good at.

It wasn't until we accidentally switched from her Addie-approved playlist to a general shuffle of my music library that we stumbled upon the answer-- Addie, it seems, loves rap music. Specifically, she loves Jay-Z, and even more specifically, she loves "99 Problems," a scathing critique of the music industry and racial stereotyping, which is evidently hilarious to babies. Luckily, I am also in possession of some awesome rap skills, so I was able to accommodate her new-found passion for rhyme-spitting.

Jay-Z is no Raffi, I guess, but if it keeps her happy, I'm totally down. That is, until she starts, you know, speaking English. Then, Jay-Z will likely be off the table.

She's got 99 problems, but a bitch ain't one

No comments:

Post a Comment